Durham Contents Nearby Places Map
"The parish, and royal borough of Hartlepool is situated on a rocky peninsula whose cliffs, on the north-east, east, and south, are washed by the German Ocean. On the south-west and west it is bounded by the large inlet forming its harbour; and on the north-west a narrow sandy isthmus connects it with the parish of Hart. The area of the township is 137 acres; the area of the borough, since 1883, is 631 acres; and the total ratable value is £61,653."
[From History, Topography and Directory of Durham, Whellan, London, 1894]
There is a picture (17 kbytes) of the parish church of Christ Church, Hartlepool; supplied by Bill Henderson.
The monumental inscriptions in the churchyard of St. Hilda and in the Spion Kop Cemetery have been transcribed, indexed and published by the Cleveland Family History Society.
"In 1801, the population was 993; in 1811, 1047; in 1821, 1249; in 1831, 1330; in 1841, 5256; in 1851, 9503; in 1861, 12,245; in 1871, 13,166; in 1881, 12,364; and in 1891, 20,422, of whom 10,492 were males and 9930 females. There were 3282 inhabited houses, 92 uninhabited, and 26 in course of building. The municipal borough of Hartlepool now includes Middleton and a portion of Throston township."
From History, Topography and Directory of Durham, Whellan, London, 1894]
The 1851 Census Index (booklet 17a A-J, and 17b K-Z) published by the Cleveland Family History Society may be of value to researchers interested in this parish.
.Return to top of page
The site This is Hartlepool claims, " We have put together a number of different articles detailing every aspect of Hartlepool history, from the original 'Old Hartlepool' to the ship building firms of Sir William Gray".
Find help, report problems, or contribute information.