GENUKI Home page upHartlepool ContentsContents Nearby PlacesNearby Places

Hartlepool St. Hilda

"The parish, town, and royal borough of Hartlepool is situated on a rocky peninsula whose cliffs, on the north-east, east, and south, are washed by the German Ocean. On the south-west and west it is bounded by the large inlet forming its harbour; and on the north-west a narrow sandy isthmus connects it with the parish of Hart. The area of the township is 137 acres; the area of the borough, since 1883, is 631 acres; and the total ratable value is £61,653."

[From History, Topography and Directory of Durham, Whellan , London, 1894]

 

Cemeteries

The monumental inscriptions in the churchyard of St. Hilda have been transcribed, indexed and published by the Cleveland Family History Society.

Return to top of page

Census

"In 1801, the population was 993; in 1811, 1047; in 1821, 1249; in 1831, 1330; in 1841, 5256; in 1851, 9503; in 1861, 12,245; in 1871, 13,166; in 1881, 12,364; and in 1891, 20,422, of whom 10,492 were males and 9930 females. There were 3282 inhabited houses, 92 uninhabited, and 26 in course of building. The municipal borough of Hartlepool now includes Middleton and a portion of Throston township."

[From History, Topography and Directory of Durham, Whellan , London, 1894]

The 1851 Census Index (booklet 17a A-J, and 17b K-Z) published by the Cleveland Family History Society may be of value to researchers interested in this parish.

Return to top of page

Church History

"St. Hilda's Church. - this edifice, the link which unites the Hartlepool of to-day with the Hartlepool of past ages, occupies an elevated situation, and forms a conspicuous object on the coast. The architecture of the original portion of the building belongs to the Norman period; some of the restorations and alterations is has undergone are, however, of a much later character. It is supposed to occupy the site of a more ancient structure, and consists of nave, with aisles, chancel and aisles, and a massive and lofty western tower."

[From History, Topography and Directory of Durham, Whellan , London, 1894]

There is a picture (21 kbytes) of the parish church of St. Hilda, Hartlepool; supplied by Bill Henderson.

Return to top of page

Church Records

"The registers of the chapelry commence in 1566." [From History, Topography and Directory of Durham, Whellan, London, 1894]

The Parish Registers for the period 1566-1987 are deposited at Durham County Record Office, County Hall, Durham, DH1 5UL (EP/Ha.SH).

The Marriages (1813-1837) are included in the Joiner Marriage Index.

The following records for churches in the ancient parish of Hartlepool are also available at Durham County Record Office, County Hall, Durham, DH1 5UL:-

Return to top of page

Find help, report problems, or contribute information.


Valid HTML 4.0! [Last updated: 01 September 2014 - Paul R. Joiner]